Swollen throat glands or swelling in throat glands (gale ki sujan) is a common health problem that may affect any age group of person. This is generally caused due to viral infection or an allergic reaction. In the state of infection, glands (called lymph nodes) of throat become swollen and are tender to touch. Patient feels pain and irritation in throat; he may also have difficulty in swallowing the food and liquids. Generally, swollen throat does not require a doctor’s care unless otherwise affects breathing. Swollen throat can be treated by applying some natural home remedies. These remedies are very simple to use and have no side effect. All the ingredients required for these remedies are available almost in every Indian kitchen.
Natural Remedies for Swollen Throat Glands (gale ki sujan):
1. Bitter Gourd for Swollen Throat:
Though bitter gourd is not very delectable due to its taste but this veggie has loads of health benefits. Its paste is quite good to cure swollen throat glands. For this remedy, you have to grind a bitter gourd (karela) after cleaning with water. Then, apply this paste on your neck and cover it with cotton cloth for some time. If necessary, it can be repeated again, there is no harmful effects of this home remedy.
2. Carom Seeds for Swollen Throat:
Carom seeds (ajwain in Hindi) is a type of herb which have anti-septic and anti-bacterial properties. You have to eat one teaspoon carom seeds or ajwain, simply, 3-4 times in a day with lukewarm water for one week. It reduces the swelling of throat glands without medicine.
3. Green Cardamom with Radish:
Green cardamom (chhoti elaichi) is a valuable dry fruit which is used to cure many diseases.
- To cure swollen glands, peel some pods of green cardamom and remove the seeds.
- Then take a small piece of radish (muli) and grate it.
- Extract the juice of grated radish with the help of a thin cloth or simply by pressing it.
- Now, grind cardamom seeds by adding some radish juice.
- Ingest 1/4th teaspoon of cardamom paste with lukewarm water.
- Repeat it three times in a day for 3-5 days or till required.
4. Ginger for Swollen Throat Glands:
Ginger (adrak) is good for curing many health problems naturally. If you use it with basil leaves and black pepper, it can even cure swollen throat glands.
Ginger 10 gm
Basil Leaves(Tulsi) 8-10 leaves
Black pepper (Kali mirch) 4-5 corns
- Simply, crush all the three ingredients at first.
- Then, boil 1 glass of water in a pan and add all the ingredients in the water.
- Boil the water till it reduces half to make decoction (kadha).
- Now, strain it and sip it hot like tea.
- Repeat this home remedy for 2-3 days or till it required.
5. Fomentation with Wheat Flour Roll:
For fomentation of throat glands, you have to make a wheat flour roll.
Pour 100 gm wheat flour (gehun ka aata) into a bowl at first; add some turmeric powder (haldi) and carom seeds (ajwain) in it. Then mix some water and knead it well. Now, flatten this dough to make thick roti; roast the roti on heat (tawa) from one side only. Put some oil on other side and tie as much warm as you can tolerate on your neck. Cover it with a cotton cloth and leave it for 3-4 hours. For better results, apply it before going to bed at night and leave it for overnight; it is a very good remedy for removing swelling of throat glands.
6. Milk with Turmeric for Swollen Throat:
If you are suffering from swollen throat glands and tonsillitis, drink warm milk with some turmeric powder (‘haldi wala doodh’) to get relief. This remedy has been in vogue since ancient times and is very effective. Simply, boil 200 ml milk with 2 gm turmeric powder and drink it lukewarm twice a day.
7. Cinnamon and Black pepper:
There are many spices in our kitchen which are used to cure various health problems; black pepper (kali mirch in Hindi) and cinnamon (dalchini in Hindi) are among them. By using cinnamon and black pepper decoction, you can even cure the swollen throat glands within a day.
You have to simply boil two cup of water with a small piece of cinnamon and a pinch of black pepper powder for 8-10 minutes. Then strain it and mix one tablespoon honey (shahad in Hindi) in this decoction. Now, drink it immediately like tea.
8. Guava Tree Leaves for Swollen Throat:
Guava, one of the popular fruit, have many medicinal properties; even its leaves offer an array of health benefits. (1) Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, guava leaves can treat swollen throat glands when used for gargling.
Simply, boil 5-6 guava (amrud in Hindi) tree leaves in a glass of water thoroughly. After straining and cooling, use this lukewarm water with a pinch of rock salt for gargling. Repeat it for three times in a day; you will get relief in swollen throat glands and tonsillitis on the same day. But continue the gargling at least for 3-4 days.
9. Massage with Pure Ghee:
Massage with pure ghee reduces inflammation of throat glands. Therefore, whenever you have problem of tonsillitis or swollen throat, give gentle massage on your neck (outside throat glands). It cures tonsils very fast.
After massage, foment the throat glands externally with the help of hot water. For this purpose, simply apply a compress- such as a folded napkin which has been squeezed from hot water. Therefore, take some hot water and a cotton napkin. The simplest method of a fomentation (sikai) is to merely fold a napkin to make a square and then dip it in hot water. Now, squeeze it properly and lay it on the neck by covering the lymph nodes externally. Change the compress every two minutes to keep it hot. It removes swelling of throat and gives relief from pain.
10. Basil for Swollen Throat Glands:
Popularly known as ‘Tulsi’, basil plant is found almost in every house or its surroundings. Basil is proved as an important herb to treat different health problems. (2) Owing to its anti-inflammatory properties, it is also good for throat swelling.
- Firstly, grind some seeds (manjari in Hindi) of basil after drying in sunlight to make powder (20 gm manjari powder).
- Then, mix rock salt powder (1 tsp) in it and keep this powder in an airtight jar.
- Swallow 2 pinch of this powder with lukewarm water twice a day.
- To cure completely, repeat it for 5-7 days; it will cure swollen throat glands as quick as antibiotics.
11. Liquorice Powder:
For any type of throat problem, liquorice (mulethi in Hindi) is an amazing herbal supplement. Owing to its medicinal properties, it is a widely used as a home remedy of various throat problems. Liquorice has powerful phytochemicals called flavonoids, chalcones, saponins and xenoestrogens. Because of them, it works as anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic drug.
To treat swelling of throat glands, mix half teaspoon of mulethi powder and half teaspoon of honey and lick it three times in a day. Liquorice is good for health and has no side effect.
12. Gargling for Swollen Throat Problem:
For any type of throat problem, gargling is the most common and effective way. It helps to wash away the mucus lining of the throat that protects the germs causing the throat infection. When the mucus (balgam in Hindi) is washed away, the lining of the throat exposed and natural ingredients used in gargling water washes the germs away and kills them. By using any of the following remedy, you can reduce the inflammation of throat (gale ki sujan).
Read detailed procedure of gargling in “Gargling for Sore throat”.
13. Steam Inhalation for Swollen Throat:
Inhaling steam is also good to reduce throat swelling naturally because heat and moisture of steam helps to soothe and relax the muscles of throat.
For taking steam, you can use vaporizer which remains available in medicine shops (chemist). This vaporizer is handy and easy to use. You can take steam simply by filling some water in it or by adding a pinch of salt in the water. But if you have not vaporizer, other options are also there; some of them are-
- If you have not vaporizer, boil 1 – 1.5 liter water in a pot with some carom seeds (ajwain- half teaspoon). Now put it off from the heat; lean your face on the hot water pot by covering with a towel. Take deep breath with open mouth and inhale the steam at least for 8-10 minutes or for as long as you can. Repeat it for 2-3 times in a day.
- Clove (laung in Hindi) oil is good to reduce swelling on throat glands. Boil some water in a pan and put 2-3 drops of clove oil in the water. Take steam of this water by covering the head with a towel.
- Eucalyptus oil (Nilgiri Tel) is also good for steaming. Follow the same procedure as above. Take some very hot water in a pan and put some eucalyptus oil drops in this hot water and inhale steam of the water vapors by covering the head with a towel.
Though all the above said home remedies are natural and have no side effect but if it doesn’t suit you, stop immediately. Or if you do not have any relief in your throat infection even after applying home remedies for 2-3 days, it is better to consult your doctor. The information given above is based on personal experience; results are not guaranteed. These remedies are not the substitute of medical treatment.