Swollen throat glands or swelling in throat glands (gale ki sujan) is a common health problem that may affect any age group of person. This is generally caused due to viral infection or an allergic reaction. In the state of infection, glands (called lymph nodes) of throat become swollen and are tender to touch. Patient feels pain and irritation in throat; he may also have difficulty in swallowing the food and liquids. Generally, swollen throat does not require a doctor’s care unless otherwise affects breathing. Swollen throat can be treated by applying some natural home remedies. These natural remedies are very simple and have no side effect. All the ingredients required for these remedies are available in every Indian kitchen.
Natural Remedies for Swollen Throat Glands (gale ki sujan):
1. Bitter Gourd for Swollen Throat:
Though bitter gourd (karela) is not very delectable due to its taste but this veggie has loads of amazing qualities. It is used to cure many diseases naturally. For reducing throat glands swelling (gale ki sujan), paste of bitter gourd is quite effective.Firstly, wash a bitter gourd in clean water and gring it to make paste.Apply the paste on your neck and cover it with cotton cloth for some time. If necessary, it can be repeated again, there is no harmful effects of this natural home remedy.
2. Caroms Seeds for Swollen Throat Glands:
To cure swollen throat glands (gale ki sujan), ajwain is another good home remedy. Thyme seeds is a type of herb which have anti-septic and anti-bacterial properties. You have to eat one tea spoon thyme seeds or ajwain, simply, 3-4 times a day with lukewarm water for one week. It reduces the swelling of throat glands (gale ki sujan) without medicine.
Another way of using thyme seeds for swollen throat is by preparing decoction (kadha). Simply boil 1 tea spoon ajwain or thyme seeds in one glass of water thoroughly; then add 1 spoon sugar in it. Strain the seeds of thyme and divide this water into three equal dosages. Now, consume each dosage- in morning, afternoon and night. It is a good natural home remedy to cure swollen throat glands.
3. Green Cardamom with Radish Juice:
One of the most effective natural remedies to reduce swelling of throat glands (gale ki sujan) is to eat green cardamom (chhoti elaichi) paste. Green cardamom (chhoti elaichi) is a valuable dry fruit which is used to cure many diseases without any side effect.
- At first, take some pieces of green cardamom and peel them to remove the seeds.
- Then take a small piece of radish (muli) and grate it.
- Extract the juice of grated radish with the help of a thin cloth or simply by pressing it.
- Now, grind cardamom seeds by adding some radish juice.
- Eat 1/4th tea spoon of cardamom paste with lukewarm water thrice a day.
- Repeat this home remedy for 3-5 days or till required.
4. Ginger Decoction for Swollen Throat Glands:
Ginger (adrak) is good for curing many health problems naturally. Even it is effective to cure throat infections also, especially when you use it with basil leaves (tulsi patti) and black pepper (kali mirch). To prepare this natural medicine, you have to collect –
Ginger (Adrak) 10 gm
Basil Leaves(Tulsi) 8-10 leaves
Black pepper (Kali mirch) 4-5 corns
- Simply, crush all the three ingredients at first.
- Then, Boil 1 glass of water in a pan and add all the ingredients in the water.
- Boil the water till it reduces half to make decoction (kadha).
- Now, strain it and sip it hot (decoction) like tea.
- It reduces throat glands swelling without medicine.
- Repeat this home remedy for 2-3 days or till it required.
5. Fomentation with Wheat Flour Roll:
To reduce throat glands swelling, fomentation with wheat flour roll (gehun ki roti) is most effective. For this home remedy, you have to prepare a wheat flour roll.
Pour 100 gm wheat flour (gehun ka aata) into a bowl at first; add some turmeric powder (haldi) and carom seeds (ajwain) in it. Then mix some water and knead it well. Now, flatten this dough to make thick roti; roast the roti on heat (tawa) from one side only. Put some oil on other side and tie as much warm as you can tolerate on your neck, covering with a cotton cloth. Leave it for 3-4 hours. Better to apply before going to bed at night and leave it for overnight; it is a good natural remedy for swollen throat glands (gale ki sujan).
6. Milk with Turmeric for Swollen Throat:
If you are suffering from swollen throat glands and tonsillitis, drink warm milk with some turmeric powder (haldi wala doodh) to get relief. This traditional natural remedy is used from the time of our ancestors. Simply, boil 200 ml milk with 2 gm turmeric powder (haldi) and drink it lukewarm twice a day. It reduces throat swelling (gale ki sujan) naturally without medicine.
7. Cinnamon and Black pepper:
There are many spices (masale) in our kitchen which are used to cure various health problems without medication; black pepper (kali mirch) and cinnamon (dalchini) are one of them. Cinnamon and black pepper corns are used for curing throat problems also. By using cinnamon and black pepper decoction, you can cure the swollen throat glands (gale ki sujan).
To prepare this home remedy, simply boil two cup of water with a small piece of cinnamon and a pinch of black pepper powder for 8-10 minutes. Then strain it and mix one table spoon honey (shahad) in this decoction (kadha). Now, drink it immediately like tea.
8. Guava Tree Leaves for Swollen Throat Glands:
Guava (amrud), one of the popular fruit, have many medicinal properties; even its leaves offer an array of health benefits. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, guava leaves can treat swollen throat glands (gale ki sujan) when used for gargling.
Simply, boil 5-6 guava tree leaves into a glass of water thoroughly and add a pinch of rock salt (sendhwa namak) in it. After straining and cooling, use this lukewarm water for gargling. Repeat it for three times a day; it will give relief in swollen throat glands and tonsillitis on the same day. But continue the gargling at least for 3-4 days.
9. Massage with Pure Ghee:
Massage with pure ghee reduces inflammation of throat glands. Therefore, whenever you have problem of tonsillitis or swollen throat, give gentle massage on your neck (outside throat glands). It cures tonsils very fast.
After massage, foment the throat glands (gale ki sikai) externally with the help of hot water. For this purpose, simply apply a compress- such as a folded napkin which has been squeezed from hot water. Therefore, take some hot water and a cotton napkin. The simplest method of a fomentation (sikai) is to merely fold a napkin to make a square and then dip it in hot water. Now, squeeze it properly and lay it on the neck by covering the lymph nodes externally. Change the compress every two minutes to keep it hot. It removes swelling of throat (gale ki sujan) and gives relief from pain.
10. Basil (Tulsi) Seeds:
Popularly known as ‘Tulsi’, basil plant is found almost in every house or its surroundings. Basil or tulsi is proved as an important herb to treat different health problems without medicine. Owing to its anti-inflammatory properties, basil is also good for throat swelling.
- Firstly, dry some seeds (manjari) in sunlight and grind them to make powder (20 gm manjari powder).
- Then mix rock salt powder (1 tsp) in it and keep this powder in an air tight jar.
- Swallow 2 pinch of this powder with lukewarm water twice a day.
- To cure completely, repeat it for 5-7 days; this is a good natural remedy to cure swollen throat glands problem without antibiotics.
11. Liquorice or Mulethi Powder:
For any type of throat problem (gale ka dard) , mulethi or liquorice is an amazing herbal supplement. Owing to its medicinal properties, it is a widely used natural traditional remedy. Liquorice has powerful phytochemicals called flavonoids, chalcones, saponins and xenoestrogens. Because of them, it works as anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic drug.
To treat swelling of throat glands (gale ki sujan), mix half tea spoon of mulethi powder and half tea spoon of honey and lick it three times a day. Liquorice or mulethi is good for health and has no side effect.
12. Gargling for Swollen Throat Problem:
For treating swelling of throat glands or any type of throat problem, gargling is the most common and effective way. It helps to wash away the mucus lining of the throat that protects the germs causing the throat infection. When the mucus (balgam) is washed away, the lining of the throat exposed and natural ingredients used in gargling water washes the germs away and kills them. By using any of the following remedy, you can reduce the inflammation of throat and cure swollen throat glands problem (gale ki sujan).
- Take a glass of warm water and put some rock salt or tea leafs. Then gargle with this water; it also helps to reduce throat swelling. It is a simple natural home remedy that is advised even by the doctor with medicine.
- Similarly, do gargles with warm water by adding a pinch of alum (fitkari) and ¼ tea spoon of turmeric powder (haldi); it is also effective in swollen throat problem. Alum and turmeric are natural anti-septic and help to cure sore throat problem without antibiotics.
- Baking soda is also good for gargling. Gargle with warm water by adding a pinch of baking soda also reduces swelling of throat.
- Likewise peppermint is also good as gargling supplement. Use a little amount of peppermint in warm water to do gargle; it is also most effective for reducing swelling of throat.
13. Steam Inhalation for Swollen Throat Problem:
Inhaling steam (bhap lena) is also good to reduce throat swelling (gale ki sujan) naturally because heat and moisture of steam helps to soothe and relax the muscles of throat.
For taking steam, you can use vaporizer which remains available in medicine shops (chemist). This vaporizer is handy and easy to use. You can take steam simply by filling some water in it or by adding a pinch of salt in the water. But if you have not vaporizer, other options are also there; some of them are-
- If you have not vaporizer, boil 1 – 1.5 liter water in a pot with some carom seeds (ajwain- half tea spoon). Now put it off from the heat; lean your face on the hot water pot by covering with a towel. Take deep breath with open mouth and inhale the steam at least for 8-10 minutes or for as long as you can. Repeat it for 2-3 times a day. It is a good natural home remedy to get rid of swollen throat glands problem.
- Clove oil (laung ka tel) is good for throat problems also. Boil some water in a pan and put 2-3 drops of clove oil in the water. Take steam of this water by covering the head with a towel; it is a good natural remedy to reduce swelling on throat glands.
- Eucalyptus oil (Nilgiri Tel) is also good for gargling. Follow the same procedure as above. Take some very hot water in a pan and put some eucalyptus oil drops in this hot water and inhale steam of the water vapors by covering the head with a towel.
Though all the above said home remedies are natural and have no side effect but if it doesn’t suit you, stop immediately. Or if you do not have any relief in your throat infection even after applying home remedies for 2-3 days, it is better to consult your doctor.