Ajwain or Carom Seeds:Carom seeds or ajwain (Hindi name) is an evergreen herb which we use for culinary, medicinal, and ornamental purposes. Its botanical name is ‘Trachyspermum ammi’. It is a wonderful spice and an important part of every kitchen which garnishes many cuisines around the world. In fact, our ancestors used it as natural medicine to treat various health problems. Health benefits of ajwain are due to its properties. And most noteworthy properties are antiseptic, anti-bacterial, diuretic, insecticide and anti-rheumatic. Actually, it is known for its cardiac, carminative, stimulant, tonic and vermifuge substances. In addition, carom oil has fungicidal properties. Before the advent of modern antibiotics, oil of carom was used to medicate bandages.
Health Benefits of Ajwain:Carom seeds are excellent source of vitamin C and vitamin- A. Its regular use as natural medicine helps to improve eyes vision. It is a good source of vitamin K, manganese, iron, copper and calcium which helps to improve bone health. Because of its antibacterial properties, it is very good to cure skin related problems. In addition to, its oil is also used to control musculoskeletal pain. Some major health benefits of ajwain are-
1. Ajwain for Cold:Carom seeds (ajwain) are most effective in curing cold, especially blocked nose because it helps to release mucus. For detailed remedy, also read “13 natural remedies of cold” (carom seeds to cure cold).
2. Ajwain for Chronic Cough:Ajwain is also good to cure chronic cough or ‘kali khansi’. Simply, ingest paste of carom seeds, honey and rock salt to cure cough. (Detailed remedy in “Carom seeds for chronic cough”)
3. Ajwain for Old fever:Use ajwain water in earthen pot or its concoction to cure high/old fever.
a. Ajwain Water in Earthen Pot:To prepare ajwain water, simply, take 4 cups of water in an earthen pot and soak 24 gm carom seeds in it at early in the morning. Keep it in shadow (away from sunlight) during day time and in the dew during night. Strain and drink the water next day morning; this remedial formula can even cure 10-12 days old fever.
b. Concoction of Carom Seeds:Concoction of ajwain and cinnamon (dalchini) also helps to cure fever. Boil ½ tsp of carom seeds and ½ tsp of cinnamon in a cup of water for 5-10 minutes on a low flame. Then consume lukewarm after straining into a cup. Take it at least two times in a day for 5-7 days regularly or till required.
4. Carom Seeds for Indigestion:Ajwain has many active enzymes which help to facilitate the release of gastric juices. It boosts our digestive system and cures indigestion. Therefore, chew a small amount of carom seeds after meal like mouth freshener (mukhwas). You can also take powder of carom seeds and other spices to treat indigestion. For detailed recipe, read “15 natural remedies of gastric problem (carom seeds for Gas).
5. Ajwain for Scorpion Bite:Antiseptic properties of carom seeds help to remove even the pain of scorpion bite (Bichchho ka dank). If you face such type of situation, grind some carom seeds with water to make paste and put this paste on the place of scorpion bite.
6. Reduces Intestinal Inflammation:To remove the inflammation of intestine, take 4 cups of water in an earthen pot and soak 24 gm ajwain in it at early in the morning. Keep it in shadow (away from sunlight) during day time and in the dew during night. Strain and drink it next day morning. To get cured completely, continue it for 10-12 days.
7. Carom Seeds for Throat Inflammation:Carom seeds can remove throat inflammation too. In that case, eat ½ – 1 tsp ajwain with lukewarm water for 3-4 times in a day. For more remedies of throat inflammation, read “13 remedies for swollen Throat Glands”.
8. Ajwain for Musculoskeletal Pain:Carom seeds have antibiotic and anesthetic properties that make it effective to reduce swelling and pain. To get relief in musculoskeletal pain, give massage on the affected area with carom seeds oil. To prepare this oil, first you boil some carom seeds, garlic cloves and asafoetida in mustard oil (sarson ka tel) thoroughly. Let it to be cool and then store into a jar after sieving. Now you can use this oil (lukewarm) to massage whenever needed.
9. Ajwain for Kidney Stone:To remove kidney stones (pathari), mix one spoon of carom seeds powder in some radish (mooli) juice and take it regularly for 2-3 weeks. It breaks the kidney stones in small pieces and flushes them out.
10. Fungal Infection in Toenail:If you have toenail fungal infection, put carom oil on your toenail. Apply it 3-4 times daily, till it cures completely.
11. Ajwain for Hair Growth:Carom seeds are also good for hair growth. Mix some carom oil in coconut oil and give head massage with this oil regularly. It helps to improve blood circulation to the scalp and makes hairs healthier.
12. Ajwain for Skin Disorder:Carom seeds have anti-fungal and anti-oxidative properties. For any type of skin infection, apply thick paste of ajwain on the affected area for 3-4 times daily. To make carom seeds paste, grind it into mixer with some water, paste is ready to use. Or if your head is bared with tiny red pokes, apply paste of carom seeds with lemon juice (nimbu ras) on it, the pokes will be cured within 2 days. Similarly, you can cure pimples by using ajwain paste with curd (dahi). Simply, make fine paste of 20 gm carom seeds with 25 gm of curd and apply this pack on your face; wash the face with lukewarm water after some time. Continue it for seven days, pimples will be gone permanently.
13. Good for Deworming Kids:Kids have high risk of getting infected by worms which results in stomach-ache, nausea and vomiting. It can also affect the growth of the child. Carom seeds have the quality of deworming kids. (Read – “Carom Seeds for Deworming kids” for details).
14. Releases Extra Mucus:Steam inhalation of carom seeds is good for reducing chest congestion and releasing extra mucus. Boil one tsp ajwain in one liter water and take steam by covering head with towel.
15. Ajwain for Sore Throat:For getting relief in sore throat, use of carom seeds is trustworthy. For detailed information, read – “Carom seeds for sore throat”.
16. Cures Acidity:Carom seeds are good to cure acidity if it is taken in small quantity; read different uses of carom seeds to cure acidity in “16 Natural Remedies for Acidity (Carom seeds for acidity).
17. Good for Weight Loss:Carom seeds helps to burn fat by increasing the metabolic rate of the body. Ingredients: Carom Seeds 100 gm Fenugreek Seeds 250 gm Black Cumin seeds 100 gm Dry Ginger Powder 2-3 tbsp Asafoetida 1 tbsp Firstly, roast all the three seeds (Ajwain, Methi & Kala Jeera) in a pan one by one for 1-2 minutes. Let it to be cool and grind then to make fine powder. Then mix all the ingredients and blend them together. Store it in an airtight jar in a cool place. Take 1 tbsp of this powder mixing with a glass of lukewarm water in the morning or evening on an empty stomach. You can even consume it mixing with curd or buttermilk as per your choice. It will definitely help you to lose weight. Ajwain, fenugreek seeds and black cumin seeds- all help to increase metabolic rate of the body and certainly give positive results for losing weight.
18. Ajwain for Insomnia:Carom seeds are also effective in insomnia (anidra). To control this problem, drink a cup of ajwain water before going to bed daily.
19. Ajwain for Asthma:Carom seeds are very good to treat respiratory diseases like Bronchitis and Asthma. Because of its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, it is an excellent medicine of relieving congestion formed due to mucus. A hot and dry fomentation of the seeds applied on the chest gives relief in asthma. (1) By consuming crushed ajwain and jaggery (5 gm) with lukewarm water, one can get relief in asthma. One can eat it like mouth freshener too; roast some seeds on a pan slightly and chew few seeds after meal. Congestion can also be eliminated by inhaling the smell or fumes of ajwain. For this, you have to heat some ajwain on a preheated hot pan (tawa) and breathe in the fumes coming out. Alternatively, you can make a swag of slightly roasted ajwain by tying them in a soft cotton cloth. Then give lukewarm fomentation with swag on the chest. Also put this swag near the nose to smell; it eliminates nasal congestion. It is a simple and effective medicinal use of ajwain which is safe even for small kids.
20. Treats Toothache:Carom seed is a natural painkiller that gives relief in all types of toothache. Read details in “15 Toothache Natural Remedies’ (Carom seeds for Toothache).
21. Cures Ear Pain:Ajwain helps to cure any type of ear pain too; one drop of carom seeds oil can even reduce severe ear ache. Whenever you feel pain in your ear, use ajwain oil. Carom oil remains available in supermarket for sale. You can prepare ajwain oil at home with garlic, and sesame oil. Simply, boil 100 ml of sesame seeds oil with 1-2 crushed garlic cloves and 2 tsp of ajwain till it become red. Let it to be cool and store into a jar. Put 2-3 drops in the affected ear whenever required.
22. Gout and Arthritis Pain:Anti rheumatic properties of Carom seeds act as a pain killer for soothing, calming and comforting pain. To prepare its oil, boil 200 ml of mustard oil with 2 tbsp of ajwain thoroughly. Then strain it to remove seeds and store in to a jar. Now massage your joints with this oil (lukewarm) 2-3 times in a day. Alternatively, you can crush some carom seeds (ajwain) and apply the paste on the affected area to reduce inflammation and pain. Or, you can take ajwain into a powder form too, to reduce arthritis pain without medicine. Ingredients: Carom seeds 50 gm Black cumin seeds 50 gm Fenugreek seeds 50 gm Grind all the three seeds separately to make fine powder and then mix well. Ingest half tsp of this powder daily in the morning with lukewarm water. It helps to reduce swelling and pain of joints. For better results, you can mix Shatavari (Asparagus Racemosus) in this powder. Shatavari or Asparagus is a type of herb basically used in Ayurvedic and Unani medicines. It can even cure rheumatic or as neuralgic pain.
23. Ajwain for Colic Pain in Infants:Newborn babies or infants cry number of times uncontrollably. It is very difficult to know the reason whether it is the gassy prob or anything else. Colic is uncontrollable crying in an otherwise healthy baby that is painful for child and parents both. Carom seed is a great solution of this babies’ gassy problem. You can apply crushed paste of these seeds externally on the stomach of the baby for relieving colic pain. (2) If your baby is crying restlessly and you are not able to reach doctor, you can try ajwain for instant relief. At first, boil ½ tsp of ajwain in 1500 ml of water on a low flame for 5-10 minutes. Let it to be cool and then serve few spoonfuls of this water to your baby to cure colic pain.
Likewise, you can try concoction of fennel seeds and ajwain both for colic pain. Simply, boil ½ tsp of fennel seeds with ½ tsp of carom seeds in 2 liters of water on low flame for 10 minutes; let it to be cool. Then serve few spoonfuls of this concoction to your baby for curing colic pain.
24. Ajwain for Menstrual Problems:Carom seeds contain ‘Thymol’ that works as anti spasmodic component; it lowers the menstrual cramps too. For getting relief in menstrual cramps, mix few drops of ajwain oil in a tbsp of coconut oil and apply on your lower abdomen. In addition, you can take concoction of ajwain; simply, boil 1 tsp of carom seeds in drinking water and consume. It will help to relax uterus and to control pain and discomfort. Or, you can try soaked carom seeds for irregular menses. Simply, soak 2 spoons seeds in half cup of water in earthen vessel at night and keep it in the dew at night. Next day morning, grind it and consume.
25. Ajwain Improves Libido:Carom seed helps to boost up libido. It works as a stimulant or natural aphrodisiac to make sexually active. Simply chew few carom seeds after dinner before going to bed at night. Or use carom seeds with tamarind and ghee to boost up libido –
- At first, roast some ajwain and tamarind kernels (Imli ke beej) with ghee (clarified butter) on a pan over heat.
- After roasting, grind them to make paste with the help of grinder.
- Now mix 1 tsp of this paste in a glass of warm milk with 1 tbsp of honey and drink before sleeping at night regularly.
- It is a very good home remedy to reduce sexual disability like premature ejaculation (discharge of semen in males). Even sperm count can also be improved in men by applying this remedy.
26. Improves Sperm Count:Low sperm count is a major cause of male infertility or inability to conceive a child. Carom seed is good for conception and fatherhood. It contains ‘Thymol’- an essential oil- that is believed to be good for improving sperm count. Therefore, chew a little amount of ajwain after dinner daily before going to bed to improve sperm count. You can also consume carom seeds by infusing into water. Slightly roast some carom seeds on a pan and just soak 2 tsp of ajwain in a cup of water overnight. Boil it on the next day morning and drink after sieving. You can even drink it without boiling on an empty stomach.
27. Ajwain for Eczema:Eczema is a type of skin disease that causes the skin to become red, itchy, cracked and inflamed. There is not yet a full cure of eczema but symptoms can be managed. Carom seeds are very good to heal up these patches of eczema. At first, wash the patches with carom seeds water. (To make its water, boil 1 tsp seeds in 500 ml water for 10 minutes; let it to be cool.) Then grind some carom seeds to make paste with lukewarm water. Now, apply this paste on the affected area for 2-3 times in a day.
28. Premature Graying of Hair:Carom seeds are also very good to stop premature graying of hair; use it with curry leaves and raisins (dry grapes). (Also read ‘Premature graying of hair remedies’).
29. Carom Seeds for Diabetes:Carom seed works well to treat diabetes. You can take it with different combinations like- ajwain with neem leaves or ajwain with fenugreek seeds (For detailed remedy, read ‘Top 10 Home Remedies for diabetes”)
30. Ajwain for Bed Wetting:Bed wetting is a common problem of children that becomes painful for parents. Use of carom seeds is very good to treat this problem. Ingredients: Carom Seeds 25 gm Black sesame seeds 50 gm Jaggery 100 gm Slightly roast the seeds separately on a pan over flame. Then grind all three and mix them well. Take 1 tsp of this mixture twice a day for 2-3 weeks; you can continue further if required.
31. Ajwain for Polyuria:Polyuria is a common problem of diabetics. Ajwain works well to treat Polyuria (Bahumutra) if it is taken with bel leaves (wood apple). To treat this problem, take 20 ml of bel leaves juice with 1 tsp of carom seeds twice a day. To extract bel leaves juice, grind 1-2 leaves after cleaning with water and sieve with a thin cotton cloth. Problem of Polyuria can be cured by taking ajwain powder with jaggery (gur) too. Simply mix both in equal quantity and ingest 1 tsp of this mixture 3-4 times in day with lukewarm water. Or, you can ingest ajwain with sesame seeds (½ + ½ tsp) simply with water twice a day.
32. Good for Breastfeeding Mothers:Carom seeds are very good for lactating or breastfeeding mothers for increasing milk production. It is also helpful in post delivery recovery of women. Slightly roast some carom seeds and fennel seeds (saunf) and chew them in equal proportion for increasing milk production. Or, you can use concoction of ajwain and fennel seeds for increasing milk production in breastfeeding mothers. Simply, boil carom seeds (1 tsp) and fennel seeds (2 tsp) in 2 liters of water for 5- 10 minutes and consume this water after sieving within a day.
33. Good to Treat Piles:Carom seeds are also good to cure piles (bleeding); take it with buttermilk. Also read “Home Remedies for Piles (Bawasir)” for more details.
34. To get Rid of Dipsomania (Alcohol):Ajwain also proved helpful to get rid of dipsomania (drinking habit). Slightly roast the carom seeds on a pan and keep them into a jar. Chew few seeds daily to get rid of the habit of alcohol.
35. Ajwain for Gastritis:Carom seed is a wonder herb that is used to treat various health problems. It is an amazing natural medicine to give instant relief from stomach related issues such as- gas, belching, flatulence, indigestion and acid reflux. To know about the various recipes of ajwain for gastric problems, read “Natural remedies of Gastric Problem”.
36. Carom seeds for Paralysis:Carom or thyme seeds are believed to be good for treating paralysis and weakness of limbs. Soak ½ tsp of carom seeds in a cup of water for 3-4 hours and consumed daily after sieving. Or you can drink ajwain tea alternatively; you can prepare tea by boiling ¼ – ½ tsp carom seeds in a cup of water. For taste, you can add some mishri (rock sugar) or jaggery in it
37. Purifies Blood:Carom seeds help to remove body toxins too. Drink ajwain tea daily to purify your blood. It also improves blood circulation and reduce skin related problems.
38. Good for Gums:To cure any type of gums problem, roast some carom seeds and grind to make fine powder. Now, brush your teeth with this powder regularly.
Side Effects of Carom Seeds:Ajwain is an excellent herb if it is used in right quantity. But if it is used in excess amount, it can cause various stomach problems too.
- 16 Natural Remedies for AcidityOver consumption of carom seeds may cause hyper acidity, nausea, vomiting, headache and dizziness.
- It is not good for the people who is allergic to carom seeds.
- It is not good for the people who has constipation (dry and hard stool).
- Excess use of ajwain could increase blood pressure and heart rate.
- Pregnant ladies should avoid it because it may increase level of heat in the body and can create problem.
- People, who has any type of liver disease, should not use carom seeds because it can aggravate the problem.
- If anyone has ulcers in mouth or stomach and ulcerative colitis should avoid carom seeds.