Burning sensation (Jalan or dah in Hindi) in body is a common problem which affects most of the people. Generally, people feel burning sensation in palms, feet, stomach, and chest or all over the body. Sometimes they feel a tingling or like on fire or feeling pins and needles pricking on their hands and feet or all over the body. No temperature increases however just the sensation of burning.
A burning sensation is a type of pain and if it is in the extremities, it may occur due to the disturbance in the nerves that is called peripheral neuropathy. Peripheral neuropathy is a condition that can result from several reasons; some of them are vitamin deficiency, vascular disease, chronic diabetes, and long-term alcohol abuse.
Some common symptoms of peripheral neuropathy are feeling on fire pins and needles, trouble in swallowing and heartburn. Other symptoms may also be there according to underlying cause. However, there are many other possible causes also for this burning sensation in body.
If you have these types of symptoms but if there is not any serious reason behind this, you can try some natural remedies.
Home Remedies to cure Burning Sensation:
1. Mint Leaves or Coriander Leaves:
Mint leaves and coriander leaves have cooling properties. These leaves help to get rid of this burning sensation (‘jalan’ in Hindi) of body. Mint leaf (pudina patti) is a herb that has many medicinal properties. Similarly, coriander leaves (hara dhania) also used to treat some health problems; burning sensation is one of them.
- Take 100 gm mint leaves or coriander leaves.
- Grind the leaves after washing with water in mixer grinder.
- Then apply the paste on hands and legs.
- Let it be there for 1-2 hours to control burning sensation.
2. Bottle Gourd Pulp for Burning:
Bottle gourd (‘lauki’ in Hindi) has multiple of health benefits. In fact, this vegetable has lots of vitamins like- vitamin-C, niacin (vit B-3), thiamin, pantothenic acid (vit B-5) and pyridoxine (B-6). It is also a good source of minerals such as calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, manganese and magnesium and dietary fiber (both soluble and insoluble). Because of its cooling properties, its pulp (gooda) is also used to control burning sensation in the body.
How to Use:
- Peel some bottle gourd (100 – 200 gm) and chop it in small pieces.
- Then grind the pieces of bottle gourd into mixer grinder.
- Or simply grate the bottle gourd after peeling.
- Now rub this pulp on your hands and feet; burning sensation (jalan) will be banished.
- If you are feeling burning in stomach, apply this pulp around your navel point and let it be there for some time.
3. Sattu for Burning Sensation:
Sattu is a traditional nutritious food which consist roasted ground pulses and cereals. Generally, people use roasted gram flour to prepare it but in some regions, people make use of roasted ground barley grains or millet and corn grains for preparing sattu. It is a typical Indian food that controls burning sensation amazingly.
There are different methods of preparing Sattu; it is in dry powder form. Because of its cooling effects, people use Sattu generally in summer season. For burning sensation of body, eat Sattu with sugar. You can purchase it directly from market but if you want to make it at home, it is very easy too.
How to Prepare Sattu at Home:
Gram Grain (Deshi chana) 500 gm
Wheat grain(gehun) 500 gm
Barley grain (jau) 250 gm
- Roast all the above three grains dry separately in sand or in oven at low heat.
- In case of barley, roast dry and whole with husk at low heat; while roasting, keep stirring the grains with a wooden spoon.
- After roasting of all the grains, let them to be cool.
- If you are roasting in sand, rub the grains with cotton cloth, so that sand particles come out.
- Then sieve the roasted grains properly.
- At last, grind the entire roasted grains separately in grinder; mix all the three flours properly and store into an air-tight jar.
Eat this ‘Sattu’ once daily in breakfast or as you like. Mix 3-4 tbsp Sattu powder and 2 tbsp sugar in a bowl and add some water to make paste according to your taste and ingest.
However, roasted grains are also available in market; you can purchase from market and grind them at home to prepare Sattu. Sattu is a complete nutritious healthy diet.
4. Raw Onion Juice:
Onion (pyaj) is a type of vegetable that has anti-septic, anti-biotic and anti-microbial properties. Onions are rich in fibers, potassium, sulphur, calcium, vitamin B & C. Raw onion juice removes burning sensation.
At first, peel one piece of raw onion (pyaj) and grate it with the help of grater. Then extract its juice with the help of a thin cotton cloth. Now, rub this onion juice on your palms and feet (sole) to get relief from heating or burning sensation.
5. Ripe Papaya for Burning Sensation:
Do you know that ripe papaya controls burning sensation of body (jalan). Simply, grind or grate half ripe papaya (small size) after peeling its outer layer. Then, apply the pulp on your hands and feet and leave; you will get relief within few minutes.
6. Cluster Fig Juice for Burning Sensation:
Cluster fig tree, popularly known as Gular tree, has many medicinal properties. In fact, the fig fruit contains vitamins A and C, laxative substances, acids and enzymes. In India, People use the leaves of the fig tree as an important component in Hindu religious rituals like havan, yagna etc. Its leaves are also used in traditional remedies to controls burning sensation, especially feet, palms and eyes.
If you have such problem, grind some tender leaves of cluster fig (gular) after washing thoroughly. Then, extract its juice with the help of a cotton cloth. Now, consume 10-15 ml juice of cluster fig leaves with honey (5 ml).
7. Indian gooseberry or Amla Juice:
Indian gooseberry or Amla is an amazing fruit, known for its medicinal properties. It is an excellent source of vitamin-C; because of its cooling properties, it also gives immediate relief in burning sensation.
At first, grind 3-4 Indian gooseberries (amla) and extract the juice with the help of thin cotton cloth. Now, add equal quantity of water and 1 tbsp of honey in amla juice and consume it.
Indian gooseberry remains available in market from September- October to March.
8. Henna Leaves for Burning Sensation:
Henna (Mehndi in Hindi) leaves are also good to treat burning sensation due to its cooling properties. Take some fresh henna leaves and grind them to make paste. Add one lemon (nimbu) juice in this paste and apply on your feet (sole). Let to be there for 2-3 hours and then wash it off. Follow this procedure for some days on regular basis for better results.
You can use henna powder (available in market) in the place of fresh henna leaves. Only problem with henna is its color. Henna leaves reddish brown stains on skin.
9. Massage for Burning Sensation:
If you are feeling burning sensation (jalan) in your feet, simple and best natural remedy is to give massage (malish) on your sole.
Simply, give massage to your feet sole with a little amount of pure ghee (clarified butter) for 10-15 minutes. You can also use mustard oil (sarso ka tel) or ginger juice (adrak ka ras) for massage instead of ghee.
Ginger juice massage gives quick relief in burning sensation (jalan or dah). Grate a piece of ginger and extract the juice. Mix this juice with some olive oil or coconut oil. And massage your feet or palms with this to get quick relief.
10. Cumin, Coriander & Fennel Seeds:
If you have burning sensation in your body (jalan or dah), you can try decoction (kadha) of cumin (jeera), coriander (dhania) and fennel seeds (saunf) decoction (kadha).
Cumin seeds (jeera) 1 tsp
Coriander seeds (Dhania) 5 gm
Fennel seeds (saunf) 5 gm
- Take 200 ml water in a pan and put it on the heat to boil.
- Mix all the three ingredients in this water.
- Boil the water till it remains half.
- Let it to be cool and drink lukewarm regularly for 2-3 weeks.
- You may continue further as per your requirement.
All the ingredients mentioned in above said remedies are easily available in market (grocery shop or supermarket like big bazaar etc.). For cluster fig (gular) leaves, you have to look around nearby area.
The Information given above is only for the purpose of knowledge. Though, all the above home remedies are harmless but if it doesn’t suit you, stop immediately. It is better to consult your doctor before use.