Haritaki (terminalia chebula in English) or harad is an amazing herb that provide effective cure in various health problems. It helps to balance ‘Tridoshas’ in our body and used in many Ayurvedic medicines. It is also used in many home remedies to cure diseases like- piles, constipation, gastric problem, acidity, cough, diarrhea etc. (1, 2) Some effective recipes of harad is given here to treat various day to day health problems.
Health Recipes of Haritaki (Terminalia chebula):
1. Recipe of Haritaki for Chronic Cough:
Harad with amla and liquorice is amazing to treat cough. If you are suffering from severe cough, simply collect haritaki, Indian gooseberry chunks and liquorice in equal quantity. Grind all the three one by one to make fine powder and mix them well. Keep the mixture into a jar and consume 1 tsp 2-3 times in chronic cough.
2. Recipe of Harad For weight loss:
For quick and speedily weight loss, drink decoction of harad (terminalia chebula) daily. Simply, add 6 gm of harad powder in boiling water (1 glass) and boil it till it reduces half. Now mix 1 tbsp honey in it and drink this water on an empty stomach daily for some time.
3. Recipe of Sore Throat:
To clear sore throat, add 1 tsp of haritaki (terminalia chebula) powder in a glass of hot water and cover a lid on it for some time. Then, gargle with this lukewarm liquid of terminalia chebula.
Gargling with haritaki powder is also beneficial for healthy teeth and gums.
4. Recipes of Harad to Treat Piles:
To treat piles (Bawasir in Hindi), following recipes are more effective –
a. Harad with Jaggery (Gur):
Piles (bawasir) can rather be cured with haritaki (terminalia chebula) and jaggery (gur) too. Take equal amount of haritaki (2-3 gm) and jaggery (gur) and consume before eating food; it reduces itching and pain of hemorrhoids.
b. Decoction of Haritaki:
Decoction of haritaki controls bleeding piles. Prepare the decoction by boiling harad powder in water; after cooling, rinse the boil with this decoction (kadha).
5. Recipe of Haritaki for Mouth Ulcers:
To cure mouth ulcers (chhale), at first, break the outer covering of yellow terminalia chebula (badi harad) and remove its seed. Then, boil the peel of haritaki with a cup of water till the color of the water changed to dull yellow. Let it to be cool and rinse with this water several times throughout the day. This home remedy is quite safe even for small children.
6. Recipe for Healing Wounds:
To heal wounds naturally, wash the wounds with the decoction of harad. For making decoction (kadha) of harad, boil 1 tsp of haritaki powder in a glass of water and boil on heat till it reduces half. Sieve the decoction and let it to be cool; then wash the wounds with this decoction. It helps to shrink the wounds (ghav).
After washing the wounds, apply harad powder on wounds locally. Take 1-2 gm of haritaki powder and 5-10 gm butter; mix both well and apply on the wound. It helps to cure the wounds very faster. Instead of butter, you can use Vaseline too.
7. Recipes for Acute Acidity:
Following recipes of terminalia chebula (haritaki) are most effective in treating acidity (pitta rog) naturally-
a. Harad with Black Cardamom:
To treat acidity, collect the ingredients in given quantity-
- Chhoti harad 30 gm
- Black Cardamom 30 gm
- Black Pepper 10 gm
- Firstly, roast black Chebulic Myrobalan (chhoti harad) and Black Cardamom (badi elaichi) over heat on a pan slightly.
- Keep the black cardamom seeds into the blender after peeling.
- And then grind all the three ingredients one by one.
- At last, mix all the powder thoroughly and keep into an airtight jar.
- Whenever you feel acidity, you can take 1/4 tsp powder with lukewarm water at night.
- Repeat it for 7-10 days. This is a very effective and tested formula to get relief from acidity.
b. Yellow Chebulic Myrobalan with Terminalia Bellerica:
Yellow Chebulic Myrobalan (badi harad) & Terminalia Bellirica (baheda) are type of herbs. Haritaki increases the mucus production in the stomach by forming a protective barrier thus preventing acidity and ulcer. Use them with black cardamom (badi elaichi) and mishri (rock sugar). Use of these three herbs together can cure acidity permanently and also improve digestion.
- Yellow Chebulic Myrobalan 25 gm
- Terminalia Bellirica 50 gm
- Black Cardamom 25 gm
- Rock Sugar 50 gm
- Firstly, pound on the harad and baheda with the help of pestle or stone and remove its seeds.
- Keep the broken shell (upper layer) separately.
- Simultaneously, peel black cardamom and remove out the seeds.
- Then grind the harad, baheda and badi elaichi to make fine powder.
- In addition, also make powder of Mishri in grinder and mix all the four ingredients properly.
- Keep it into an airtight jar.
Take 2 gm of this powder with lukewarm water daily in the morning. It cures ‘shleshma pitta’ naturally. You can use honey in the place of mishri.
c. Harad with Piper Longum (Pippali):
To cure acute acidity (burning in chest), you can try recipe of haritaki with piper longum (pippali).
- Terminalia Chebula 25 gm
- Piper longum 25 gm
- Mishri 50 gm
- Firstly, collect all the ingredients and grind them one by one.
- Then, mix all the three powders and store into a airtight jar.
- Ingest 2gm of this powder twice a day with water. With a regular use of few days, you can cure your acidity permanently.
d. Haritaki with Jaggery:
Jaggery is a natural sweetener which works like a digestive agent. It has many medicinal and nutritive values. Composition of Jaggery (gur) with Terminalia chebula (haritaki) works as a natural medicine in acidity (pitta rog). You can apply following health recipe to treat acidity–
- Simply, collect both harad and jaggery (gur) in equal quantity.
- Roast terminalia chebula (harad) on a pan over heat slightly.
- Then, grind it in mixer grinder to make fine powder and keep it into a jar.
- Ingest 2 gm of this powder, mixing with equal quantity of jaggery (gur) after half an hour of dinner with water.
- This home remedy is not only good to cure hyper-acidity but also good to cure constipation.
e. Harad with Raisin (Kishmish):
To cure acidity, use harad (terminalia chebula) with kishmish (Raisin). Simply, mix powder of terminalia chebula (2-3 gm) with crushed raisins (5- 8) and consume.
8. Recipes of Haritaki for Constipation:
a. Haritaki with Black Cardamom:
To cure constipation (kabz), you can apply this recipe of traditional home remedy in the given manner –
- Terminalia chebula (harad) 50 gm
- Black Cardamom (badi elaichi) 25 gm
- Black Pepper (kali mirch) 10 gm
- At first, roast all the three ingredients one by one on a pan over heat slightly.
- Then, remove the outer covering to separate the seeds.
- Now, grind all the three ingredients to make fine powder.
- Ingest ¼ to ½ tsp powder at night with lukewarm water; you will get relief immediately.
b. Harad with Baheda:
- Yellow Chebulic Myrobalan 25 gm
- Terminalia Bellerica 50 gm
- Rock Sugar (mishri) 40 gm
- At first, remove the rind of harad and baheda with the help of pestle .
- Then grind all the ingredients to make fine powder and keep it into a jar.
- Now, consume ¼ tsp powder before going to sleep at night with lukewarm water.
9. Recipes for Joint Pain:
a. Harad with Dry ginger or Sonth:
If you have joint pain, take harad with dry ginger (sonth) and celery (ajmoda). All the three herbs have anti inflammatory properties and act as a diuretic to remove swelling of the joints.
- Collect all the three ingredients and grind one by one to make fine powder.
- Then, mix well and keep into an airtight jar.
- Ingest 3-4 gm of this powder with lukewarm water twice a day (morning & evening).
b. Harad with Giloy:
Haritaki with giloy is very good to cure gout. Firstly, grind some chhoti harad or black chebulic myrobalan to make fine powder; store it into a jar. Now, ingest 3 gm harad powder with giloy juice daily; you can purchase giloy juice from ayurvedic and other shops.
10. Recipes of Harad for Loose Motion:
a. Haritaki with Amla or Indian gooseberry:
This natural remedy is most effective to control loose motion or diarrhea and has no side effect.
- Take 10 gm chhoti Harad and 20 gm dry Amla chunks and grind them to make fine powder.
- Take 1 gm of this powder with honey or directly with water twice a day.
- You will get complete relief in 3-4 dosages.
b. Terminalia Chebula (Harad) with Piper Longum:
To control loose motion, collect Black Chebulic Myrobalan (chhoti harad) with Piper Longum (pippali) in equal quantity. Grind both the ingredients to make fine powder and ingest 1 gm of this powder after lunch and dinner with water. You will get relief immediately.