Premature graying of hair (waqt se pahle safed baal) is a common problem of youth today as gray hair makes their appearance much older than they are. It is much common among the age group of 20-35. The occurrence of white hair according to age i.e. older age looks graceful but when it occurs in twenty’s or thirty’s, it looks like a minus point of your personality.
Actual cause of gray hair is not very much clear; it is said that the natural color of hair is due to the presence of the pigment- melanin. When the hair starts to loosen this melanin, it becomes gray and when it totally loosens the pigment- melanin, it starts to become white.
The reason behind this premature graying may be a hormonal fluctuations, genetic predisposition, poor nutrition, stress, excessive use of tobacco or use of unsuitable hair products. Premature white hairs may also be caused due to some diseases like sinusitis, chronic cold, migraine, and thyroid disorders.
Though coloring of this gray or white hair (safed baal) is very easy and simple with commercial and chemical-laden hair colors available in market, but these colors can damage the hair follicles. Therefore it is better to try some natural remedies to control this premature graying of hair.
Natural Remedies for Premature Graying of Hair:
1. Amla for Premature Graying of Hair:
For any type of hair problem, Indian gooseberry is the best solution. It has been used as a traditional natural remedy for hairs since the era of our ancestors. Indian gooseberry is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants; its anti-ageing components are helpful to control even whitening of hair due to age.
Various Uses of Indian gooseberry or Amla for hair:
a. Amla Water:
Soak one table spoon amla powder in a cup of water overnight; apply the water of the amla powder on your hair in the morning with a brush (strain the powder). Apply this remedy continuously for 2-3 months without gap; there is no need to wash the hair daily after applying amla water.
Similarly, juice of amla or Indian gooseberry may be applied on your hair during amla season i.e. from September- October to march.
Amla powder remains available in grocery shops, Ayurvedic medicine shops and even in super markets.
b. Amla Pulp:
Fresh amla or Indian gooseberry pulp is also effectively works as natural remedy for premature graying of hair.
Take 6-7 fresh Indian gooseberries; steam them in a pressure cooker for 10 minutes. That means, put some water in the cooker, use a steamer basket insert to keep the Indian gooseberry lifted out of the liquid. Let it to be cool and mash them properly after removing the seeds; add one lemon juice (nimbu ras) in pulp. Apply this pulp on your scalp by massaging with fingers. Retain this pulp on your hair at least for 3-4 hours then wash the hair only with water, don’t use shampoo. It is a good remedy to colour your gray hair naturally. Apply this remedy 2-3 times in a week and notice the change after one month.
c. Amla with Coconut oil:
Regular use of coconut oil (nariyal tel) with amla makes your hair naturally black and strong.
- Dried Amla Chunks 20 gm
- Coconut oil 200 gm
For the procedure of preparing the oil, refer “Remedies to get thicker hair“. Apply this remedy at least twice or thrice a week for better results.
d. Amla with Acacia Concinna (Shikakai):
- Dried Amla Chunks 25 gm
- Acacia Concinna (Shikakai) 25 gm
Soak dried chunks of Indian gooseberry and Acacia concinna or Shikakai in 2 cup of water overnight. In the morning, mash the chunks with fingers in water and sieve it. Now massage your scalp and hair with this mixture thoroughly; leave it for 15-30 minutes and rinse the hair with water. Apply this remedy 2-3 times in a week. It controls the premature graying of hair (waqt se pahle safed baal) and also makes the gray hair black in a natural way.
e. Amla with Mulethi and Pure Ghee:
To control the premature graying of hair, use of Indian gooseberry with liquorice (mulethi) and pure ghee is an excellent natural remedy which makes the hair naturally black.
- Indian gooseberry juice (Amla ras) 500 ml
- Liquorice powder (mulethi) 250 gm
- Pure ghee 500 gm
Mix all the ingredients in a pan and keep on the medium gas to heat. After burning the water of the mixture, turn off the gas and keep the remaining ghee in a bottle after cooling. Apply this ghee daily on your hairs; your gray hair will become black after some days.
To get excellent results of above mentioned remedies, take 10 ml fresh amla juice daily. If fresh amla or Indian gooseberry is not available, take one tea spoon amla powder with water daily. Indian gooseberry is a good hair tonic which revitalizes the pigmentation in your hair and makes your hair naturally black, strong and shining.
2. Curry Leaves for Premature Graying of Hair:
Curry leaves (meethi neem) help to increase darker pigmentation in your hair by way of stimulating the hair follicles to produce melanin. It works as a great hair tonic.
- Firstly, take 1 cup coconut oil and 2 handful Curry leaves (meethi neem patti).
- Boil curry leaves in coconut oil (nariyal tel) till it charred; let it to be cool.
- Then strain the oil and keep it into a bottle or jar.
- Massage your hair with this oil twice a week in night and rinse your hair in the morning.
- Note: Eat 15-20 tender curry leaves with 8-10 basil leaves daily to get better results.
3. Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice:
Coconut oil (nariyal tel) is known as preferred oil for the total nourishment of the hair. It is rich in carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. Combination of coconut oil with lemon juice (nimbu ras) and bhringraj (Eclipta prostrata) leaves juice makes it helpful to reverse gray hair when used for a prolonged time.
- Coconut oil (Nariyal tel) 200 ml
- Lemon juice (nimbu) 3 tsp
- Bhrinraj Leaves (haldi) 50 gm
- Fenugreek seeds (methi dana) 50 gm
- Firstly, take some bhringraj (Eclipta prostrata) leaves, wash it and dry it with clean cloth to absorb extra moisture.
- Chop the bhringraj leaves (do not make paste).
- Place the coconut oil in a heating pan.
- Mix one cup chopped bhringraj (Eclipta prostrata) leaves and three teaspoons of lemon juice in coconut oil.
- Heat the mixture for about 8-10 minutes in low flame.
- Now add the fenugreek (maithi dana)seeds in the mixture.
- After ten minutes, the color of oil will be green, put off the flame and let it to be cool.
- Leave the oil in the pan as it is for 6-8 hours and then strain it into glass bottle or jar.
- Apply this oil on your hair and massage it into your scalp. Leave it on for at least 2-3 hour before rinsing your hair.
- Apply this oil on your hair 2-3 times in a week; it will control the premature graying of hair within 2-3 months and reverse gray hair when used for prolonged period.
Fenugreek seeds (maithi dana) are also rich in iron, vitamin C and potassium; these nutrients help to prevent premature graying of hair. For better results, eat one tea spoon of sprouted fenugreek seeds (maithi) daily to make gray hair black. Or drink the water of soaked (overnight) fenugreek seeds.
4. Henna for Premature Graying of Hair:
Henna (mehndi) is a natural color prevents premature graying of hair also.
- Henna powder (Mehndi) 2 spoon
- Basil leaves paste (Tulsi patti) 2 spoon
- Coffee powder 3 spoon
- Mint leaves juice (Pudina ras) 3 spoon
- Yoghurt (Dahi) 1 spoon
- Fenugreek paste (Methi) 1 spoon
Soak the henna (mehndi) for 6-8 hours. Mix all the ingredients in henna and apply this mixture on your hair once in a week regularly. It is a good remedy that is proved to be very effective for preventing premature graying of hair and turning the gray hair into natural black.
5. Other Useful Tips For Premature Graying of Hair:
a. Black Sesame seeds:
Eat one tea spoon raw Black sesame seeds (kale til) with water on an empty stomach daily. With a regular use of black sesame seeds gray hair turns to natural black.
b. Black Pepper & Curd for Premature Graying of Hair:
Massage your hair and scalp with a mixture of curd (dahi), black pepper (kali mirch) and lemon juice (nimbu ras); it controls premature graying of hair and gray hair turns to natural black.
- Curd (Dahi) 1/2 cup
- Black pepper powder (kali mirch) 1 gm
- Lemon juice (nimbu ras) 1 spoon
c. Bottle gourd juice for Premature Graying of Hair:
Bottle gourd juice (lauki ras) also helps to control premature graying of hair; mix bottle gourd juice and olive oil (Jaitun Tel) in equal quantity and apply on your hair. You can mix sesame oil (Til ka tel) in the place of olive oil.
d. Neem oil for Premature Graying of Hair:
Neem oil is also good for controlling the premature graying of hair. Apply neem (Azadirachta indica) oil once in a week on your hair; its anti-bacterial effect prevents from other infection also.
e.Mustard Oil & Henna:
Mustard oil (Sarso ka tel) with henna helps to prevent the premature graying of hair.
- Mustard oil (Sarson ka tel) 200 gm
- Henna leaves (Mehndi patti) 50 gm
Boil the henna leaves (mehndi) into mustard oil (sarso ka tel) till it entirely burns. Let it to be cool and keep into a bottle. Apply this oil on your hair twice in a week.
Though all the ingredients used in remedies are safe and have no side effect but results may vary person to person. If someone is allergic to any ingredient, don’t use.